What a cookie is
A cookie is a harmless text file that’s stored in your web browser when you visit almost any website. The usefulness of the cookie is that the web is able to remember your visit when you browse it again. Even now a lot of people don’t know that the cookies have been used for over 20 years, since the first web browsers appeared.
What a cookie is NOT
It’s not a virus, trojan, worm, spam, spyware, pop-up opener or other malware of any kind.
What information is stored inside a cookie?
Cookies don’t usually store sensitive information about you, like credit card numbers, bank account numbers, pictures, you ID or any personal information. The information stored has a technical character, like browser settings, content customization, etc.
What kind of cookies exist?
- Technical cookies: They are the most basic and allow, among other things, to know when a human or an automated application is browsing a website, or when a registered or non registered user is. These are basic tasks for the operation of any dynamic website (most websites are dynamic nowadays)
- Analytical cookies: They gather information about the kind of browsing performed, language, visited pages, timezone, etc.
- Advertisement cookies: They show advertisement according to your browsing preferences, country, language, etc.
What are proprietary and third party cookies?
Proprietary cookies are those generated by the website you are browsing, and third party cookies are those generated by external service providers like Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
What happens if I disable cookies?
We will show you some examples so you can better understand the impact of disabling cookies:
- You won’t be able to share contents of this website on Facebook, Twitter or any other social network.
- The website won’t be able to adapt its contents to your personal preferences, like it’s usual in online stores.
- You won’t be able to access the registered area of the website, like My account, My profile, My orders, etc.
- Online stores: It will be impossible to purchase items online, you’ll have to make it by phone or by visiting the physical store, if available.
- No será posible personalizar sus preferencias geográficas como franja horaria, divisa o idioma.
- El sitio web no podrá realizar analíticas web sobre visitantes y tráfico en la web, lo que dificultará que la web sea competitiva.
- You won’t be able to write comments, upload pictures, like articles, etc. The website won’t be able to tell if you are a human or an automated application that publishes spam, so it will probably treat you like the latter just to be safe.
Can cookies be deleted?
Yes. And not only deleted, but blocked in general or for a specific domain.
To delete all cookies from a website you need to open your browser’s configuration and you can look there for the ones associated to the specific domain and delete them.